Sunday, January 17, 2016

ANGER The hermit and the shudra (low caste man)




Under the shady trees, there was a neat and clean hut of a hermit by the side of the river, Jamuna. It was decorated with the skins of deer and lions.

Ochre coloured clothes were hanging from the pegs in the trees. By chance, a low caste traveller, reached there, and seeing a well-built pucca ghat, he took his bath in the river and washed his clothes. At the moment, the hermit was taking rest inside his hut.

When he heard the sound of washing clothes, he came out and saw that his clothes hanging on the pegs were being polluted by the dirty splashes of the washing. Seeing that a man was washing his dirty clothes, he was very much agitated with anger and taking a thick staff, started beating and abusing him. The poor man became unconscious. Even then the hermit continued to kick him, till he himself was tired. After some time, the hermit entered the river to take his bath again.

In the mean time, the shudra (low caste) regained his consciousness, and he also entered the river to take his bath again. By this time, the hermit's anger was very much cooled down. . He addressed the poor man and said, 'Why do you take your bath again?

Are you not afraid of falling ill or catching a cold?'

The man replied, 'You had also taken your bath before. Who do you take your bath again?'
The hermit was annoyed at this retort and said, 'You have the cheek to copy me. I had to take my bath again because I was polluted by your touch.' The poor man replied, 'I also take my bath again because I have been touched by a CHANDALA, who is worse than a low caste. I want to purify myself in this river.'

At this reply, the hermit was red with anger. He said, 'What do you mean? You dare abuse me!! Do you mean to call me a CHANDALA?'

The man submitted in a humble tone, 'No Sir. cannot afford to insult you. I have been the victim of your anger. As you already know, this anger is a big CHANDALA. You will please excuse me. I do not mean you when I say I was touched by a chandala.

On hearing this, the hermit was very much ashamed and he said to himself that the poor man was right in his remarks. I should not have lost my temper. O dear friend! It is pity that we consider it a pride to indulge in anger, which is, as a matter of fact our worst enemy. It is wonder that we hate a chandala with much greater intensity than what we do in respect of our anger. Anger is the worst emotion. It makes one mad and destroys one's power of discrimination. When God is everywhere and in everything, is it not an insult to God, if we get angry at or insult someone else?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

click here for more info https://www.dolabuy.ru Extra resources bags replica gucci her latest blog replica louis vuitton bags